Although February is right around the corner, there are still 11 months left in the year. Why not start it off right with some journal prompts that set you up for success in 2020? Whether you’ve already made New Years resolutions and are sticking with them or have lost your momentum, take the time to think about what you want this year to look like. It’s also the star of a new decade, so think about your future as well. Think of your pages as clean slates that you can fill with what ever you wish.
I’ll start with prompts to look back because it can be helpful to revisit where you have been. Next, there will be prompts for goals and dreams for the year and finally, there will be prompts for the future beyond 2020.
- What did you accomplish in 2019?
- What were your set-backs in 2019?
- What are your favorite memories from 2019?
- Did you do anything new in 2019?
- What was 2019 like if you could describe it in one word and why?
- What did you accomplish in the last decade?
- What were your favorite memories from the last decade?
- Is there anything from the last decade that you still need to heal from?
- What has been working well for you?
- What do you want/need to let go of?
- What was your theme from the past decade?
Prompts for 2020
- What do you want this year to look like?
- What are your short-term goals for 2020?
- What are your dreams for the year?
- What is your word for 2020?
- Did you make New Years resolutions? If so, are you sticking to them?
- Make a list of new things you’d like to try this year.
- What books would you like to read?
- What would you like to do for yourself this year?
- What family plans do you have this year?
- Do you have any habits you’d like to break? If so, what?
- What’s one step you can take today to achieve one of your goals?
Prompts for Your Future
- What are your big dreams for this decade? It can be anything. The sky’s the limit.
- Where do you think you will be in ten years?
- Describe your dream place to live.
- Describe your dream vacation.
- Write a letter to your future self. What do you want him/her to know?
- What do you want to do for fun this decade?
- Break your big dreams down into smaller achievable steps and make lists.
- What are your family plans for the decade?
- Where would you like to visit?
- If you woke up tomorrow and could change one thing, what would it be?
- What does success mean to you?
- What is your theme for this decade?
Since it was Martin Luther King Day on Monday, I am ending this post with one of his quotes. It’s perfect for the start of the new year, trying something new or starting fresh.
I hope these prompts help you gain some clarity, celebrate your accomplishments and get you excited about your future. Do you have any favorite writing prompts? Feel free to leave it in the comments. Happy journaling!
Love this!! Great journaling ideas. Can’t wait to get started.
Love this, nice tips that are tempting me to start journaling
I have journalled since a young age and believe in its power to help center you and get you focused. I love your prompt about projecting 10 years into the future as well as the idea of reflecting about the previous year.
Really great prompts!
These are great journal prompts. I like the idea of looking back and looking forward. It’s nice to see how far I’ve come in the past year, but also to keep my eyes on the prize as they say. Nice post!
Great ideas! This is a super way to think positive and set goals, love it!
These are absolutely great! I pinned so I can refer to it when I need it. Thank you for sharing these prompts!